The Rt. Rev. John DeGraft Priddy
The Rt. Rev. John DeGraft Priddy was born at Elimina in the Central Region to Mr. John Kofi Anowie and Madam Mary Esi Sarsah, both of blessed memory on 18th December, 1955.
John received his elementary education at the Methodist Primary School, Manso Atwere and completed at St. Andrews Catholic Boys middle school at Nandom in the Upper West Region in 1970. He continued at Awudome Secondary School, Tsito in the Volta Region where he obtained his General Certificate of Education (G.C.E) Ordinary level in 1976.
John, taught as a Pupil Teacher for two (2) years and entered St. Joseph’s Training College, Bechem in 1978. He taught for Six (6) years in the following schools: Elmina Methodist Continuation School, Etsiapa Memorial Methodist Primary School, Kormantsi Methodist Primary School and Akotobinsin Methodist Primary School, Elmina. The Rt. Rev. John DeGraft Priddy at a very early stage showed keen interest in the Church. He was a Chapel Keeper, a Class Leader, a Local Preacher and Circuit Youth Organizer at Elmina.
He candidate for the ordained Ministry at Elmina on the recommendation of the Very Rev. Albert A. Gordon, who was then the Superintendent Minister of Elmina Circuit. John entered the then Trinity College in 1987. He received training and was consequently commissioned in June, 1990 at the Wesley Methodist Chapel, Accra. After a three (3) year probationary studies, he was ordained and received into full connexion in 1993 at the same venue where he was commissioned. At the Trinity College he was the Hall Captain for Odjidja hall and treasurer for the Methodist Students.
In 1993, he continued his education at the University of Ghana – Legon where he was awarded Bachelor of Arts (Hons) Degree in Religion whit Psychology in 1997.
SOCIETY STATUS CIRCUIT DIOCESE YEAR
Aboadze Circuit Minister Shama Sekondi 1990-1993
Univ. of Ghana Legon 1993-1997
Yenso Circuit Minister Sekyere Effiduase 1997-1998
Effiduase 2nd Minister Effiduase Effiduase 1998-1999
Sekondi 2nd Minister Sekondi Sekondi 1999-2001
Axim Supt. Minister Axim Sekondi 2001-2004
Effiakuma Supt. Minister Effiakuma Sekondi 2004-2006
Asawasi Supt. Minister Asawasi Kumasi 2006-2011
Aburi Supt. Minister Aburi Koforidua 2011-2014
Nsuta Supt. Minister Nsuta Koforidua 2014-2016
POSITIONS HEAD AT THE DIOCESAN LEVEL
- K. Treasurer, Effiduase Diocese: 1997-1999
- Journal Secretary, Effiduase Diocese: 1998-1999
- K. Secretary, Sekondi Diocese: 2002-2002
- K. Chairman, Sekondi Diocese: 2003-2006
- Letter Chairman, Sekondi Diocese: 2004-2006
- Chaplain, Methodist Guild, Sekondi Diocese: 2001
- Coordinator, Local Preachers, Sekondi Diocese: 2003-2006
- Journal Secretary, Kumasi Synod: 2009
- Chaplain, Boys & Girls’ Brigade, Kumasi Diocese: 2009
- Press representative, Koforidua Diocese Synod: 2012-2014
- Attester, Koforidua Doicese Synod: 2012
- Letter Writer, Koforidua Diocese Synod: 2015
- Conversation on the state of the work of God
(Ministerial Session), Koforidua Synod: 2015
The Rt. Rev. John DeGraft Priddy has also served on the following committees:
- Secretary, Committee for Social Responsibility & Rural Development,
Sekondi Diocese: 2003-2006
- Board Member Social Responsibility & Rural Development,
Sekondi Diocese: 2004-2006
- Coordinating Secretary for Coordinating Office for Social Services,
Koforidua Diocese: 2013-2016
- Chairman, Resource Mobilization Advisory Team, Koforidua Diocese: 2013-2016
- Chairman, Finance Advisory Team, Koforidua Diocese: 2013-2016
He has attended several courses, workshops and conferences to enrich his scope of knowledge. Some of them are as follows:
- Management Training Workshop for Synod Secretaries / Supt.
- Ministers at Weija organised by the Methodist Church, Ghana 2002
- Workshop on the Strategic Plan of the Methodist Church,
Ghana, Kumasi 2009
- Workshop on Records management organized by the History
Archives Division of the Methodist Church, Ghana: 2007
CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LAY MOVEMENT COUNCIL
John recognizes the Lay Movement Council as a body in the church (S.O 286) and has not left Lay Movement Council out in his Ministerial Career.
- He spearheaded the 1st Lay Movement Council Annual General Meetings (Asawasi Circuit), Kumasi Diocese: 2007 and the 1st Lay Movement Council Annual General Meeting (Aburi Circuit), Koforidua Diocese: 2012.
The Rt. Rev. John DeGraft Priddy is married to a prayerful, industrious and supportive lady in the person of Mrs. Aba Priddy, a teacher by profession. The family is blessed with four (4) children.
Gardening, Reading and Watching Football